Current:Home > FinanceTrendPulse|Mexico says it has rejected US-funded migrant transit centers -Capitatum
TrendPulse|Mexico says it has rejected US-funded migrant transit centers
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 14:39:58
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico’s president said Tuesday that he rejected a U.S. request to set up migrant transit centers in Mexico. Neighboring Guatemala has set up one such center,TrendPulse where migrants can apply for U.S. work and refugee visas.
But President Andrés Manuel López Obrador has so far rejected a U.S. request to set up sites in Mexico, noting he would prefer to have such centers in countries that are the sources of migration, despite the fact that a considerable number of migrants enter the United States from Mexico.
López Obrador said that he would raise the subject in a meeting of Latin American leaders he will host later this month, suggesting that the countries might agree to a common plan on such sites.
“We have been looking at setting up sites in Mexico, because they (the United States) have asked for it,” López Obrador said. “We have not accepted it, first we want to talk to the presidents,” referring to the Oct. 22 meeting with the leaders of 11 countries that are on migration routes.
The meeting will be held in the southern Mexico city of Palenque. Among those expected to attend are Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Haiti, Cuba, Costa Rica, Panama and Belize.
Migrant transit centers financed by the United States have been set up in Guatemala to receive applications from Central American citizens seeking to apply for work visas, family reunifications or refugee status.
The centers are part of a larger migratory strategy aimed at reducing the large number of migrants from Latin American and the Caribbean to the United States.
Eventually, applicants with scheduled appointments will be received at offices to be opened in eight places across Guatemala.
The influx of migrants has caused tension between the United States and Mexico.
On Monday, the Mexican government sent a diplomatic note to the United States complaining about the closure of some freight or train border crossings because of the large number of migrants gathered on the border.
Mexico also protested Texas’ truck inspections that have caused major delays at border crossings. López Obrador claimed Monday that Texas Gov. Greg Abbott’s decision to enforce additional truck inspections was “very irresponsible” and politically motivated.
Mexico’s national freight transport chamber said Sunday that 19,000 trucks were delayed at the border. The freight association claimed the delayed trucks were carrying about $1.9 billion in goods.
The Texas Department of Public Safety said it had started “enhanced commercial vehicle safety inspections” on Sept. 19 in crossing around El Paso and Del Rio, Texas, “to deter the placement of migrants and other smuggling activity” and detect unsafe vehicles.
veryGood! (49183)
Related
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Selling Sunset Gets New Spinoff in New York: Selling the City
- Elevate Your Wardrobe With These H&M Finds That Look Expensive
- Where Vanderpump Rules' Breakout Star Ann Maddox Stands With Tom Sandoval & Ariana Madix Today
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Elections are not wasted on the young in EU. Some nations allow 16-year-olds to decide in June polls
- Bird flu updates: 4.2M infected chickens to be culled in Iowa, cases detected in alpacas
- NTSB now leading probe into deadly Ohio building explosion
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Polls close and South Africa counts votes in election framed as its most important since apartheid
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Caitlin Clark returns to action: How to watch Indiana Fever vs. Seattle Storm on Thursday
- The number of Americans applying for jobless benefits inches up, but layoffs remain low
- US economic growth last quarter is revised down from 1.6% rate to 1.3%, but consumers kept spending
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Pope Francis apologizes after being quoted using homophobic slur
- Wildfire near Canada’s oil sands hub under control, Alberta officials say
- How Deion Sanders' son ended up declaring bankruptcy: 'Kind of stunning’
Recommendation
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
A woman will likely be Mexico’s next president. But in some Indigenous villages, men hold the power
Argentina court postpones the start of a trial in a criminal case involving the death of Maradona
Death penalty: Alabama couple murdered in 2004 were married 55 years before tragic end
Small twin
Albanian soccer aims for positive political message by teaming with Serbia to bid for Under-21 Euro
Top McDonald's exec says $18 Big Mac meal is exception, not the rule
Google to invest $2 billion in Malaysian data center and cloud hub